- PTA Meeting – December 6 – 6:00-8:00pm; will be making centerpieces to benefit St Francis of Assissi
- Foundation Year-End Ask campaign: we need to raise $72,000 this school year; donate now at www.allhandsraised.org/donate. A group of Buckman families has pledged to donate $9,000 if 70 families donate ANY amount.
- Don’t forget about Tuesday morning Scrip sales to benefit the PTA
- Buckman Book Fair is December 5-9. Volunteers are needed! C.W. Trisef will kick off the Book Fair on December 5 at 9:30 am to discuss his book, “Oracle,” with 3-5 graders.
- SUN will have online registration this month! Early registration (for anyone needing payment arrangements or student accommodations) will be the week of December 5 in the SUN office during open hours; normal registration will be the week of December 12 (online). Submit lottery forms by December 7; lottery classes will be announced December 9.
- Season of Sharing mittens are still avaiable; drop off unwrapped items with the mitten you selected by December 9.
#GivingTuesday (www.givingtuesday.org) is a worldwide celebration of giving that occurs each year after Black Friday and Cyber Monday. The social media event, taking place this year on November 29, encourages people to give time, money or goods to causes or organizations they wish to support. Last year, more than 45,000 organizations in 71 different countries were a part of #GivingTuesday, and this year we invite you to support the Buckman Foundation as part of #GivingTuesday in one of two ways.
First, the Foundation is kicking off its annual Year End Ask campaign on #GivingTuesday. This month-long fundraiser asks families and members of the Buckman community to donate directly to the Foundation. Last year, we raised $12,000 in support of our amazing school, and we hope to exceed that amount this year. Donating is simple: head to www.allhandsraised.org and select Buckman ES. Fill in your details with your selected donation amount, and you are done. We encourage everyone to consider being a monthly donor, which you can set up directly on the website.
Second, our monthly Dines Out event will be on #GivingTuesday at Migration Brewing from 5:30-9:30 pm. Stop by for a drink, snack, or full meal and Migration will generously donate a portion of sales to the Foundation. We are doubling up by hosting November’s Foundation Pub Night at 7:00 pm at Migration as well; look for the sign to join in the conversation. We have lots of exciting plans taking shape for the remainder of the school year. Come find out how you can get involved!
Migration Brewing – 2828 NE Glisan St – www.migrationbrewing.com
This is a condensed form of the Buckman newsletter published on November 9. Our aim is to provide relevant information from the newsletter in a short format for families to quickly access information.
- Grandparents’ and Special Friends’ Day is November 28. Schedule is as follows:
9:15am – Scott, Godfrey, Ingraham, Lee, Vestal, Walker
10:15 am – Danielson, Miles/Crozier, Ekelof, Gifford, Berk, Clarkson
1:15 pm – Rudolph, Patterson, Rockness, Roberts, Ninchenko, Rudolph, Chorus
- Interested in being a Dines Out Coordinator? Get in touch: email@example.com
- Support Buckman by getting your hair cut at Rooks Barbershop. 20% of service goes to the Buckman Foundation
- Next Dines Out and Foundation Pub Night (together!) is November 26 at Migration Brewing
- 5th grade scarf sale during the Used Book Sale (in cafeteria during conferences)
- The Art Show & Sell is accepting applications for artists for this year’s show (March 11-12, 2017). More info here.
- Scholastic Book Fair is December 5-9. More information and volunteer sign-up is here. Author C.S. Tristef will visit on December 5.
- Family Literacy Night is November 15, 6:30 pm
Bowl-A-Ween, one of Buckman’s most popular fundraisers, will take place on Sunday, October 30, 11am – 1pm at Grand Central Bowl. All lanes at the bowling alley will be reserved for Buckman families, so come ready to party! Arcade games on the upper level will also be available.
Admission is based on a sliding scale, $5-$10 for kids and $10-$15 for adults; all proceeds benefit the Buckman Foundation. Shoe rental is included with admission. There will be a raffle drawing and crazy costumes and a generally awesome time!
We might even want to call it a triple header… Check out the awesomeness coming your way October 18:
Start off the evening with Movie Night at Buckman for the kids. Bring your student(s) by for a movie from 6:00-9:00 pm; suggested $10 donation at the door (but nobody will be turned away!). All proceeds go to the Buckman Foundation. Sizzle Pie pizza will be available for $1/slice. Get some time away while the kids have a blast!
We would love to have a few more volunteers for movie night. This is a one-time gig so if you have been wanting to volunteer but have trouble finding the time, this is a great option. Let us know you’ll be there by signing up online!
Also! Help select the featured movie via a quick survey (takes less than a minute): let us know your thoughts!
Next step: why not make a night of it and go to Dines Out at Nostrana? Try some of their amazing pizza with fresh mozerella hand-made daily. Even if you’re not in the mood for a whole meal, stop by for a cocktail. Nostrana has asked that folks call ahead for reservations (or you can make them online at nostrana.com). Nostrana is located at: 1401 SE Morrison. A portion of their sales on October 18 will go straight to the Buckman Foundation. Support our community and have a delicious meal (kid-free!). Win-win-win.
Sleep in for your Late-Start Wednesday. Ok, just kidding! Get up early with your crazy kid(s), anyway.
Good news! The deadline to get your pledge sheets in for Run for the Arts has been extended to next Monday, October 3. In the meantime, check out homegrown Buckman video about the fun event (PS Coming up on October 7!)
Now that the school year is under way, of course it’s time for student pictures. Everyone should have received the envelope for payment and package selection from Dorian Studios to order pictures for this year. Please note there was a misprint in the original calendar (found in your student packet) so be sure to have your kid(s) ready for pictures this Tuesday, September 20.
In the evening of September 20, Buckman will host its Open House/Back-to-School night. This is a great chance to get to know your child(ren)’s teacher and hear a little about plans for the school year. This is a kid-free event intended for parents and caregivers of Buckman students.
Also important to remember that Run for the Arts forms will be due September 30. Your child should have received a pledge form from their teacher, but you also have the option of collecting online donations at http://runforthearts.ya-or.org/. Run for the Arts raises funds for lots of supplies and activities, including Boys Dance and Chorus. Volunteers will be needed the day of this fun and exciting event!
While we are on the topic of fundraisers, don’t forget to mark your calendars for the next Buckman Dines Out, happening on September 27 at Lardo (Hawthorne Location). Details coming soon!