Buckman Arts Focus Elementary
PTA Community Meeting Minutes
February 2, 2016
6:00- 8:00 PM
First 30 minutes was social time with pizza served to anyone interested.
Meeting called to order at 6:35 by Wendy Marich
- Welcome and introductions by PTA Co-President — Wendy Marich
- Review and vote to approve minutes of December 2015 PTA Meeting – Margaret Speth
- Frances Kappes made a motion to approve minutes, Krista Hofmeister seconded the motion. Meeting minutes approved.
- PTA Budget Update — Hilary Woodard
- We will donate $100 to Decoding Dyslexia, the organization presenting tonight’s meeting
- PTA purchased a gift certificate to a spa for Ms Dewson as a Thank You for jumping in to take over for Mr Rockness.
- Foundation Update – Frances Kappes
- Frances explained the role of the Foundation and the different events throughout the year that fund the Foundation.
- Throughout 2016 the restaurant East Burn will donate 5% of their sales to Buckman if people mention Buckman Elementary when paying their tab. They cut a check every month. So go eat at East Burn
- Auction is going great. All committee positions are filled but will be a need for more volunteers as we get closer to the events.
- Art Show & Sell — Michelle Cacka
- Call for volunteers for the day of the event. Check the Sign Up Genius forms to pick a volunteer job.
- Please like the Buckman ASAS on Facebook and invite your friends to the event.
- Call for one volunteer to write up blurbs about artists that will be used to promote the show on the ASAS Facebook page. Please contact Michelle if you are interested
- New this years is ASAS on Instagram showing photos of artist’s work – both student and professional artists. Follow Buckman Art Show and Sell on Instagram!
- Need two more people February 10th stuffing envelopes from 9:30-12. Contact Michelle if you are interested.
- On Feb 25th from 6:30-7:30 pm at Teote Restaurant there is final meeting before the ASAS to discuss status across committees and to tease out any work that still needs to be done.
- There are a couple of ASAS positions opening in coming years. PR person will be leaving so now is an opportunity to Shadow the current PR person for the event. Also next year, we will need someone to organize/arrange for food carts to be present at the event
- Principal Status – Elizabeth Lavenue
There will be a community meeting next week at Buckman to discuss hiring of new principal. If you would like Ms. Kosmala to stay, please send letters and email in support and come to the meeting next week to show your support. Please refer to attached information sheet (and upcoming newsletters/emails) to find out more information.
- Opt Out Info – Margaret Speth
- Margaret handed out this year’s Opt Out forms along with a letter from the President of the PAT, Gwen Sullivan explaining how Oregon would like to be chosen for a Pilot Program to implement alternative assessments in place of Smarter Balanced. If you would like to Opt Out your 3rd, 4th and 5th grader, please fill out the paperwork and hand in to the main office.
- Decoding Dyslexia Presentation
- Sarah Suby introduced Lisa Lyon from Decoding Dyslexia.
- Lisa shared her personal experience dealing with her child’s dyslexia and explained the mission of Decoding Dyslexia – to raise awareness, empower families, influence policy and help kids.
- A brief video was shown explaining what dyslexia is. There was then a slide show presentation about dyslexia. Another parent from Decoding Dyslexia shared her story of navigating PPS with a child with dyslexia. There was a call to action to encourage teachers to educate themselves around dyslexia so that they can better help identify kids at risk. The 1st Monday of each month at Providence Portland/Medical Center there is a meeting for educators and parents to learn and discuss relevant dyslexia topics.
- Recently Oregon legislation has been passed to mandate more screening for dyslexia in schools and more training of educators to identify dyslexia.
- What to do if you think your child has dyslexia? A list of private as well as public services were identified. For any questions or more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Final Announcements, Adjourn
Wendy Marich adjourned the meeting at 8:05.
Dates to Remember:
February 16 Dines Out Ate-Oh-Ate 11am – 9pm
February 20 Firkin Fest at Green Dragon
February 26 Buckman Family Dance
March 7 School Safety Summit
March 12 – 13 Buckman Art Show & Sell