The Buckman pool is in danger of being closed, and we need voices to speak up in support of keeping it open! Please consider attending the final budget hearing regarding the pool on May 12, 6:30-8:30 pm at City Hall. Wear Buckman blue, bring your kids, and testify!
Those involved in the Save Buckman Pool effort have provided the following talking points for you to consider as part of your message to council:
- Buckman Pool is a highly valued resource used by adults, families, and school children.
- Buckman Pool is the only public pool in the inner SE area.
- Inner SE has been promised a recreational center with a pool for over 30 years and this partof Portland is parks-deficient; it makes sense to keep Buckman Pool open until the city canafford to build a new community center with pool.
- Recent building and increased population density in inner SE makes the need for a rec center even greater.
- Buckman Pool is very accessible by foot, bike and public transportation.
- The school and the pool are neighborhood icons.