Buckman Arts Focus Elementary
PTA General Membership
October 6, 2015
6:00- 8:00 PM
First 30 minutes of meeting was social time with pizza served to anyone interested.
Meeting called to Order by Co President, Wendy Marich at 6:30pm
- Welcome and introductions by PTA Co-President, Wendy Marich
- Volunteer Recognition – Wendy Marich
The following volunteers were acknowledged.
- Doug Chamblin – grounds maintenance and community care day
- Diane Zipper – back to school packets, volunteer surveys, Foundation help
- Kim Dallas – auction chair
- Claire Bernardo – Scrip and Chinook Book, Organizing back to school picnic
- Samantha Bruner Cheryl Lapsley – Scrip and Chinook Book
- Leah Christensen – Run For The Arts
- Meredith Voorhees – PTA clothing center, Kinder picnic, Buckman lost and found
- Cesar Bernardo – Assessing school tech needs. School website and directory
- Nicole Edner – room parent coordinator
- Review and vote to approve minutes of April 2015 PTA Meeting – Margaret Speth
Minutes were reviewed by Margaret Speth PTA Scribe and were approved unanimously.
- Review and vote to approve Standing Rules. PTA C-o President Sarah Suby.
Sarah explained that standing rules are the same as last year except the following: Any expenditure or request for expenditure not in the budget needs to be voted on at general membership meeting. Any expenditure over $500 needs to be approved at general membership meeting. Any proposed increase to line items within the budget needs to be be brought to the general meeting and approved by vote. Doug Chamblin made a motion to approve. Angela Kirkman seconded the motion. Standing rules approved.
- Budget snapshot – Hilary Woodard, Treasurer
Hilary highlighted the following budget line items
- $1000 for family events
- $200 for each classroom teacher to purchase needed supplies
- There is a line item to pay for various performances at the different grade levels for classroom teachers and arts teachers.
- Discretionary funds line item. Anyone (teachers and parents) can propose a special project if you have an idea. Applicants must follow submission guidelines. Must benefit the entire school. Must be approved by vote at a PTA general meeting. Contact PTA officers for more information.
- Fundraising Notes
- Art Show & Sell — Michelle Chachka:
There will be a meeting on 19th of October to kickoff planning for the ASAS
- SCRIP – Claire Bernardo:
Every Tuesday morning SCRIP is for sale in the school lobby. You can order online by contacting Samantha Bruner. 150 different retailers for SCRIP. Chinook Books available for sale through November.
- Amazon smile and Fred Meyer rewards:
Easy way to donate when you buy from Fred Meyer or Amazon. Sign up online and 5% will go to Buckman when you make a purchase. Click from the link in the newsletter to sign up.
- PTA Membership Hilary:
Buckman currently has 94 members. Any amount of membership dollars above $9.50 goes to Buckman. Tonight is the last night for the $20 family membership special. Otherwise membership is $12 per person
- Call for volunteer needs
- We need room parents to aid in communication. Please consider volunteering. Please check in with your teacher about being a room parent for your child’s classroom, or email Nicole Edner email@example.com
- We need someone to be conference potluck coordinator. Conference Days Potluck for Teachers (10/21, 10/22) — we need someone to organize a signup genius to coordinate volunteers to bring in food and drinks for the teachers during these conference days. Ask Wendy or Sarah or email firstname.lastname@example.org. This is an easy gig.
- “State of the School” Presentation by Principal Susan Kosmala
- Enrollment – 482 children currently enrolled. We can expect those number to grow but the goal is to keep the school under 500 so as not to max out class sizes. There is a 50/50 mix of neighborhood to lottery/transfer kids.
- Smarter Balanced assessment numbers are in. It’s only telling us how effective teaching is. Not how smart the kids are. Buckman scored in the 3-4 range.
- Discussion of district policy, district milestones, and review of the comprehensive achievement plan.
- Discussion of how to implement the CAP
- Susan explained her goal of writing a mission statement for the school. We have a draft statement and Susan wants parents to provide feedback on the statement so that the statement can be finalized.
- Susan wants to prioritize updating and focusing on a website that has current info. Improve communication and presence and to inform parents teachers and community. The plan is to use Karen to update the website regularly.
- Final Announcements
Meeting Adjourned at 8:00pm by Wendy Marich
Next Meeting: Tuesday December 1st, 2015
Dates to Remember:
- October 13 — Dick’s Kitchen 15% of every check all day from 11AM -9PM
- October 21 & 22 — Used Book Sale in the cafetorium during teacher conferences
- October 31 – Bowl-o-ween at Grand Central Bowl from 11am – 1 pm. Wear your costumes!
- November 6 — Grandparents and Special Friends Day
- November 10 — Nostrana, 10% of every check for dinner only, 5PM-10PM
- November 17 — SUN Math Night
- December 1 – PTA Community Meeting