The Buckman Foundation is one of over 30 local school foundations operating under the umbrella of the nonprofit Portland Public Schools Foundation. Visit www.allhandsraised.org for more information on the work of the Portland Public Schools Foundation. Money raised through the Buckman Foundation is the only way we are able to fill the gap between funds provided for staffing by Portland Public Schools and funds needed to maintain our desired staffing model.
Keeping the arts alive at Buckman!
Buckman doesn’t receive any additional funding from the district to support our unique arts curriculum. Rather, it’s thanks to the hard work of parent volunteers and the incredible generosity of families, businesses, teachers, and community members who volunteer and donate to the Foundation that we’ve been able to preserve Buckman’s arts team, keep the library fully staffed, and build a literacy support team over the years.
If Buckman families and community members of all income levels volunteer and contribute to the Foundation through direct donations and by participating in fun fundraising events, our students will continue to benefit from arts and literacy programming.
Save the date for these upcoming Foundation events in the 2018-2019 school year:
- Buckman Dines Out. Once a month, we partner with a local restaurant that donates a portion of their sales to Buckman. It’s a chance for parents to skip the cooking and for families to have a fun night out. The checks add up; Dines Out events raised $4,000 for Buckman last year!
- Kids’ Movie Nights. Drop kids off at Buckman for a fun Kids Night Out and enjoy a few hours off yourself! Suggested donation is $10 at the door but nobody is turned away.
- Sauvie Island Corn Maze. Purchase your corn maze tickets from us and Bella Organics will donate 50% of sales to Buckman! Tickets are $8 for adults and $6 for kids. The more tickets we sell, the more funds for arts and literacy at Buckman. Gather your friends, families, and neighbors and make a day of it!
- Bowl-A-Ween. Kids, parents, and teachers dress up in costumes and meet up to bowl at Grand Central Bowl. 100% of admission goes to the Buckman Foundation.
- Buckman Auction. The biggest Buckman Foundation event of the year, the auction brings parents and teachers out to celebrate Buckman while bidding on classroom art projects and items contributed by parents and local businesses.
- Direct donations. Our annual direct ask campaign takes place during the month of December, but you can make a gift or set up a recurring gift anytime. Make your gift today at www.allhandsraised.org/donate. Be sure to select recipient (PPS School) from the drop-down menu, and then select “Buckman” from the list of schools in the next drop-down menu.
Parent volunteers make it all happen. There are Foundation volunteer opportunities to fit every availability and interest. You can work independently, with a buddy, or with a great group of people. Learn more about open positions at ongoing Pub Nights, PTA meetings, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here are some of open positions:
- Foundation co-Chair or Chair Mentee – Work side-by-side with the Foundation Chair and an amazing team of volunteers to plan Foundation activities and fundraisers.
- Buckman Auction – This signature event won’t happen without a visionary Auction Chair to lead our experienced team of volunteers to success. Not ready to be the chair? Additional volunteer opportunities available with event planning, sponsorships, procurement, graphic design, setup/cleanup, and more.
- Buckman Dines Out – Contact local restaurants to ask them to donate a portion of one day’s sales to Buckman.
- Bowl-A-Ween – Coordinate and lead our annual Bowl-A-Ween event at Grand Central bowling.
And…we can always use day of volunteers for Movie Nights, apparel sales, the auction and more.
Join us at a Foundation Pub Night!
Learn more about the Foundation’s plans for the year while sipping a beer! These semi-regular get-togethers are an informal and fun way to get to know other parents, swap ideas, and get the skinny on volunteer opportunities without any pressure.
Buckman parents, families, and friends can donate online at allhandsraised.org or donate or by check (dropped off in the Foundation box in the school office). Consider becoming a monthly donor! Setting up a recurring monthly gift helps to spread out the cost and, once you set it up, you never have to think about it again.
Email email@example.com with ideas, feedback, or to learn more.