What is the Buckman Foundation?
The Buckman Foundation is a parent volunteer-led organization that operates under the umbrella of the nonprofit Fund for Portland Public Schools. Money raised through the Buckman Foundation provides funds to fill the gap between the annual Portland Public Schools (PPS) budget and the funds needed to ensure Buckman is a welcoming and supportive place where all students learn, grow, and express themselves to their fullest potential.
Buckman doesn’t receive any additional funding from the district to support our unique arts curriculum. Rather, it’s thanks to the hard work of parent volunteers and the incredible generosity of families, businesses, teachers, and community members who volunteer and donate to the Buckman Foundation that we’ve been able to preserve Buckman’s arts team, keep the library fully staffed, and add staff to provide more support for individual students.
How can I get involved?
ATTEND AN EVENT
Fun, community-building events hosted by the Buckman Foundation help raise critical funding for the school. Join us for monthly Dines Out, Bowl-A-Ween, and our annual Auction.
Specifics on dates and times for Buckman events are listed Konstella and on the Buckman Elementary calendar. Save the date for these upcoming Foundation events in the 2019-2020 school year:
- Buckman Dines Out. Once a month, we partner with a local restaurant that donates a portion of their sales to Buckman. It’s a chance for parents to skip the cooking and for families to have a fun night out. The checks add up; Dines Out events raised $4,000 for Buckman last year!
- Bella Organic Corn Maze. Purchase your corn maze tickets from us and Bella Organics will donate 50% of sales to Buckman! Tickets are $8 for adults and $6 for kids. The more tickets we sell, the more funds for arts and literacy at Buckman. Gather your friends, families, and neighbors and make a day of it!
- Bowl-A-Ween. October 27. Kids, parents, and teachers dress up in costumes and meet up to bowl at Grand Central Bowl. 100% of admission goes to the Buckman Foundation.
- Buckman Auction. May 2. The biggest Buckman Foundation event of the year, the auction brings parents and teachers out to celebrate Buckman while bidding on classroom art projects and items contributed by parents and local businesses.
- Direct donations. Our annual direct ask campaign takes place during the month of December, but you can make a gift or set up a recurring gift anytime.
Our Buckman volunteers make it all happen! There are opportunities to fit every availability and interest. You can work independently, with a buddy, or with a great group of people.
Learn more about open volunteer positions at the apparel/SCRIP table on Friday mornings 8:30–9am, at the PTA Coffee Chats throughout the school year, by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by attending a PTA Meeting.
Currently open positions:
- Foundation Chair Mentee – Work side-by-side with the Foundation Chair and an amazing team of volunteers to plan Foundation activities and fundraisers.
- Auction Chair Mentee & Committee – We’re thrilled that our Auction Co-Chairs are returning to provide vision and leadership again this year. We’re looking for a mentee or two to shadow the chairs and then step into the role next year. Additional volunteer opportunities are available with event planning, sponsorships, procurement, graphic design, setup/cleanup, and more.
- Year-End Ask Mentee – In December, parents, families, and friends of all income levels make a one-time or recurring donation to keep Buckman vibrant. Learn the ropes from the experienced Year-End Ask Coordinator and team with the goal of taking over in 1–2 years.
Plus… we can always use day-of volunteers for Bowl-A-Ween, apparel sales, the auction and more.
MAKE A DONATION—Keep the arts alive for Buckman students! Parents, families, and friends can make a one-time donation or set up a recurring contribution at https://fundforpps.org/donate-index-impact or a check can be dropped off to the foundation box in the school office, made to Buckman Foundation.
DROP US A LINE—We’d love to meet you! Email email@example.com with your questions, ideas, feedback and to learn more about volunteer opportunities.