Back by popular demand: Buckman Dines Out at Screen Door! On Tuesday April 13, from 11am until 8pm (or until food runs out!), order your pick-up or delivery and 10% of proceeds will benefit the Buckman Foundation! Enjoy traditional Southern cooking with Northwest food values at this popular Buckman favorite. Call 503-542-0880 to order or check out the menu at screendoorrestaurant.com.
The Buckman Elementary PTA and Foundation wish you a warm welcome to the a new school year! We’re excited to get the 2019-2020 school year underway and are looking forward to all the fun the back-to-school season brings!
Volunteers are already getting welcome packets in order, kids are picking up school supplies, and the Buckman staff are hard at work prepping for students’ arrival next week.
While you will soon receive a TON of information in your welcome packet, we want to be sure you have a few things on your radar as the school year kicks off! First, a quick list of resources for information:
- This website! This is a parent-run site that keeps the Buckman community informed on school events, fundraisers, and other updates. Of particular interest is the events calendar; subscribe to the feed (use the “Subscribe” link in the bottom-right corner of the calendar) to get Buckman updates to your calendar of choice.
- Two Facebook options: one is the Buckman Elementary Facebook page (also volunteer-run) which provides ongoing info about school happenings throughout the school year. The other is the Buckman Facebook Community Group. Request to join to interact with other Buckman families and community members.
- The official PPS Buckman Elementary page. This is a great resource for finding teacher contact information, school newsletter archives, and district information.
And second, a few upcoming events to get on your calendar:
- August 23 – Kindergarten Picnic – 5:00-7:00pm – Incoming Kindergarten families, welcome to Buckman! We are so excited to have you here at school. This picnic will be a chance to connect with other families, play, and learn more about Buckman. We look forward to seeing you on the lower playground!
- August 24 – Community Care Day – 9:00 am – 2:00 pm – Spruce up the school along side our new Principal, Teresa Seidel. Bring your gardening gloves and painting grubs and to get Buckman Elementary school looking great before school starts. Activities include: Touching up playground paint. Weeding. Pruning and triming bushes and trees. Planting. Picking up. Filling holes. Bring treats for the group! The is a kid freindly event with snacks, a bbq, and water on hand. Come when you want and stay as long as you like. More hands make for lighter work. Sign in the day of on the upper playground with PTA Treasurer Jeff Burns.
- September 6 – Back-to-School Picnic – 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm – Join students, parents, and staff for the Annual beginning of the year picnic. This is a great opportunity to connect with friends, old and new as we kick off a new school year! Bring your picnic baskets, blanket, soccer balls, and best summer stories for an afternoon in the lower field. There will be food and ice cream for purchase from Aviv if you don’t feel like packing a picnic. We hope that you can make it!
- September 26 – Back-to-School Night – 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm – Join fellow parents in your teachers classroom and learn what this year’s curriculum will look like.
Lots more heading your way soon. In the meantime, soak up those final rays of summer and get ready for a great school year.
Thank you to all who have bought tickets for the Buckman Auction! As the biggest fundraiser of the year, the annual auction is the Buckman community’s chance to ensure all students reach their full potential to “Be You at Buckman.”
The event will be held on May 18 at The Hinson. Doors open at 6pm.
If you haven’t yet purchased your tickets, grab them online today!
Not only does the auction raise critical funding for Buckman, it’s a lot of fun. Highlights include:
Silent Auction with everything from a mobile sauna delivered to your home for the day to priceless kids’ art.
Community Sign Up Parties featuring past favorites like Welding with Beer, Mama Bear Campout, and Grown Up Karaoke, plus sure-to-be new hits like Ladies’ Poker Night.
Restaurant, Theater, and Summer Camp “Buy it Now” boards.
Live Auction featuring a four night stay in the Eastern Sierras, front row seats to the Timbers, a night at The Nines hotel, Pickathon tickets, and more.
We hope to see you there!
Tuesday, April 9, from 3–8pm, stop by one of Buckman’s favorite neighborhood spots: West Coast Grocery CompanyGrab some food and drink after school or stop by for live music starting at 6pm. Whatever the time, West Coast Grocery will donate 10% of proceeds to the Buckman Foundation. We love these guys!
West Coast Grocery Co., 1403 SE Stark St., 3am to 8pm
Stop by Buckman this weekend for the famous Art Show & Sell, taking place 10-5 on Saturday and 11-4 on Sunday, March 9-10. Shop creations from over 120 local artisans and artists and enjoy free art activities, face painting, and fun!
Sunday will also feature student performances at the following times:
For a full listing of artists and other important details, check out the Art Show and Sell website.
Dines Out heads to overlook during the month of March. Head over for Mediterranean Street Food at Spitz on Friday, March 15 and 20% of proceeds will be donated to the Buckman Foundation. Grab donor wraps, quinoa bowls, Berliner fries and craft brews.
Spitz, 2103 N Killingsworth St., 11am to 10pm